- Classes and Events
- Spin with Ewe 2023!
Spin with Ewe 2023!
This year I've decided to make my life, and all of yours, easier and put all of my Spin with Ewe information up at the same time and in one item! Spin with ewe will always be at Nash Lake Fiber Farm, the first Sunday of the month from 9:30-12, and Sunday Funday will follow! So easy!
Spin with Ewe is hosted by Theresa and Amy. At each event, we provide fiber for spinners to play with and a specific theme of focus, as well as education regarding the theme and technique tips for spinning and finished garments. We source as much as we can locally, knowing sometimes we can't get it here, and provide information and fun stories about the adventures we had finding the fiber.
Check out the list of amazing opportunities we will offer this year!
- February- Gone Batty! We will spin a variety of fun batts and have the chance to make our own batts using a drum carder and roving scraps from the mill
- March- 20 Miles. All of the fiber we will spin was sourced within 20 miles of the mill. We will discuss the amazing wool and fiber our surrounding area has to offer!
- April- #merica! We will spin all American breeds in this class and discuss why these breeds were developed and what the heck they are good for. This one will be super fun, but all of them are in reality... ha ha!
- May- Conservation matters- We will spin fleeces from sheep listed on the Livestock Conservancy list, while talking to shepherds about the importance of raising these beautiful animals.
- June- Breed up!- We will discuss the breed-up program and why we have to use this method to introduce different sheep breeds to the states. We will spin a variety of breed-up sheep fleeces and speak with shepherds who are participating in this program.
- July- Spin your shawl- We will discuss colonial women spinning for liberty after the British government passed taxation on colonists for imported goods back in 1767. What did the badass American women do? They took to the streets with their spinning wheels and told the British to F- off! in this class, we will spin a variety of fibers that would make a bitching shawl.
- August- Spin your sock- Fall is on the way which means we will need to trade our sandals for some warm woolen socks. This class will include a variety of blends and wools that make the perfect, long-lasting, farm girl socks.
- September- Soft smoosh- As we approach colder days we will want a warm soft garment to wrap ourselves in while we pick apples and all that jazz. In this class, we will spin all things soft and yummy from local farms.
- October- Delicious dual coats- Need I say more? Dual coats are just delicious! We will spin some fancy ones too!
- November- Lamb, Ram, and Ewe!- This is an opportunity to see the difference between a ram fleece, a lamb, and a ewe. You will spin a few from multiple breeds to discover the difference. It is a great class for anyone who may be interested in purchasing fleeces in the future because those ram fleeces sure can stink sometimes!